There are currently two Aftercare programs at Tyler Elementary:
• Polite Piggy’s for early childhood students (3-5 year olds)
• DCPS Out of School Time Programs (OSTP) for students (K through 5th grade)
I. POLITE PIGGY’S
Polite Piggy’s offers Aftercare at Tyler ES for PS-3 and PK-4 students.
- Polite Piggy’s is run by Vannessa Duckett-Thomas, a classroom teacher for 10 years, and Polite Piggy’s also provides aftercare at Maury Elementary School.
- Polite Piggy’s offers a day camp for 3 to 7 year olds during school breaks and professional development days at off-site locations.
- Polite Piggy’s also provides Before Care at Tyler.
- For Polite Piggy’s the staffing ratio is:
- PS3 – 8:1
- PK4 & K – 10:1, but they typically maintain 8:1 for all ages.
Facebook: Search for Polite Piggy’s Day Camp
II. DCPS OSTP AFTERCARE
DCPS OSTP Aftercare at Tyler ES is for students in Grades K-5.
- Chef Demonstrations during DC Farms to School Week: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders participated in a chef demonstration, learned about local produce, and made gazpacho.
- Basketball and Cheerleading for 4th and 5th grade students: Our basketball team and cheerleaders practice 2-3 days a week during Afterschool.
- “Murals for Kids by Kids”
- Math and Technology