(Learning Extended All Day)
More than 40 percent of the students at Tyler are enrolled in After school programming, which is available 3:15 pm – 6 pm every school day.
There are currently two programs:
• Polite Piggy’s for early childhood students (3-5 year olds)
• L.E.A.D for students (K through 5th grade)
Polite Piggy’s offers Aftercare at Tyler ES for PS-3 and PK-4 students.
- There are currently 37 children enrolled in Polite Piggy’s Aftercare; the average daily attendance is 26.
- The cost is $85/week. There is a 25% sibling discount and tuition assistance is available.
- Polite Piggy’s is run by Vannessa Duckett-Thomas, a classroom teacher for 10 years, and Polite Piggy’s also provides aftercare at Maury Elementary School.
- Polite Piggy’s offers a day camp for 3 to 7 year olds during school breaks and professional development days at Lincoln Park United Methodist Church.
- Polite Piggy’s also provides Before Care at Tyler for $40/week.
- For Polite Piggy’s the staffing ratio is:
- PS3 – 8:1
- PK4 & K – 10:1, but they typically maintain 8:1 for all ages.
Monday- Funtastic Fitness
Tuesday- Ms. Donna’s Art Class
Wednesday- Cooking Class with Cooking Thyme
Thursday- Yoga with Mr. Omar
Friday- Fun Free Friday
Preschool: Ms. Tiera and Ms. Trenita
Pre-K/K: Ms. Markea, Ms. Courtney, Ms. Wanda, and Ms. LaKeisha
Administrators: Mrs. Duckett-Thomas, Mr. Spradley, and Mrs. Cooper
Facebook: Search for Polite Piggy’s Day Camp
Tyler received a Proving What’s Possible grant through DCPS for the 2012-2013 academic year which has given us the opportunity to provide unique and enriching afterschool programing.
The L.E.A.D program at Tyler ES is for grades K-5.
L.E.A.D. offers several enrichment activities for each grade level. Including but not limited to:
- Chef Demonstrations during DC Farms to School Week: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders participated in a chef demonstration, learned about local produce, and made gazpacho.
- Basketball and Cheerleading for 4th and 5th grade students: Our basketball team and cheerleaders practice 2-3 days a week during Afterschool.
- Tennis Club
- “Common Threads” cooking program for 15-20 students from grades 2-5, starting in February 2012.
- “Murals for Kids by Kids”
- Math and Technology
- Samba classes
Contact Info: VanNessa Thomas