Dear Tyler Families,
Welcome to our new families, and welcome back to those who are returning! This start to the school year will be like not other, but we will still find ways to come together as a strong Tyler community. We’d like to introduce you to the Tyler PTA and invite you to join us this year! The PTA is a 501(c)(3) open to any current Tyler teacher, parent, or guardian. Our goal is to support academic and extracurricular activities for our students, and enhance the Tyler experience for each child in the school.
What does the PTA Do?
- Fundraise for programs such as the Tyler Thespians (annual musical), Spanish Film Club, and FoodPrints (the garden and in-class nutrition and cooking)
- Be on the lookout for more information on a new program we are running with Kindred!
- Recruit and support Room Parents for each classroom
- Advocate for things such as the new playground and building improvements
- Coordinate teacher appreciation events
- Facilitate parent “affinity groups” to create safe spaces for all parents to be invovled in the school and PTA (We have a group for Black families and for Spanish speaking families. But open to suggestions!)
Board of Directors — Election Time!
Our PTA is led by a committed group of Tyler parents, caregivers and teachers. Below is a list of the executive (elected) board member positions, and the parents or staff who ar erunning for these positions for this coming school year. Voting will remain open until Friday, September 10. [vote here] As an alternative to online voting, there will be a paper ballot option offered on-site at the school. These details will be announced soon.
The Tyler PTA has 6 executive board positions, and 3 committees each consisting of 2 parent co-chairs and a third teacher/staff co-chair. Building Finances is responsible for fundraising. Building Support for school advocacy, and Building Community for bringing our families and staff closer togher and contributing to school spirit. You wil lfind the following people on the ballot for this coming school year:
- President: Elsa Falkenburger
- Vice President: Aaron Kershaw
- Secretary: Ms. Cetlin
- Treasurer: Fatema Salam
- Communications Chair: Maddy Plankey
- Bookkeeper: Michael Berger
- Building Finances Committee Chairs: Sarah Bainton Kahn, Ms. Oneiz Mercado, Jenna Sangastiano
- Building Support Committee Chairs: Delancia Browning, Nicholas Burger, Ms. Brittany Thomas
- Building Community Committee Chairs: Sheila Bunn, Ms. Jenny Jou, open seat
For people interested in being involved in the PTA, but not running for an elected board position, please join our first meeting to find out how — all parents and staff are automatically member of the Tyler PTA and welcome at all public meetings. The participation of every member of our PTA is vital to Tyler’s success.
PTA meetings are held the first Thursday of each month September through May (unless a holiday or school event affects the meeting date). Our first PTA meeting this year will be held virtually on Thursday, September 24, at 6pm via Zoom. Normally, we offer a full dinner for families, but because our meetings are virtual this year, we are looking into alternative options. Please mark your calendars and join us at this important first meeting to hear from your elected officers, meet member of our school community, and attend breakout sessions to find your place in the PTA’s work on behalf of our kids and school.
Please consider volunteering your time! There are opportunities to contribute in different ways throughout the year and we welcome our new and returning families to contribute your work, talent, and ideas. Parents contribute with their time, and with resources. Even just a few hours or a small contribution over the course of the school year is incredibly helpful.
Please connect on social media:
Facebook: John Tyler Elementary School
The Tyler PTA 2019—2020 Board
Elsa Falkenburger, President
Aaron Kershaw, Secretary
Fatema Salam, Treasurer
Michael Berger, Bookkeeping
Building Finances Committee Chairs: Sarah Bainton Kahn, Ms. Oneiz Mercado, Jenna Sangastino
Buiding Support Committee Chairs: Delancia Browning
Building Community Committee Chairs: Sheila Bunn, Kourtney Mills
Affinity Group Leads
Hector Alas, Gabe Naugher, Lindsey Papion